Our goal is spend less on the garden this year.
Christe had developed a good plan and foundation for the garden in the years she lived here before I moved in, a nice weeping cherry tree, phlox and ground cover plants on the steep hill and some hosta and lilies.
Today we dug up our liriope, divided it and replanted it. Lirope, like hosta, spreads and grows a little bit larger every growing season. It was lush and thick on either side of the front steps and we wanted to bring it up to the top of the hill and use it to border the sidewalk on both sides.
Christe dug up everything and carefully divided the plants into somewhat equal-looking sizes. She laid them along the area where we wanted them to see if we had enough to fill and it was amazing to see just how many plants we really had. These plants would have cost at least $3 or $4 each at a garden center but for us they were FREE! We ended up with 31 individual plants meaning we saved about $100 altogether.
We started planting them together, Christe digging out a shovel or two of dirt while I arranged the plant in the hole and filled it. We started at the top of the hill and worked our way back down to the steps (where there were already gaping holes) and we had plenty of extra dirt at the end for filler. I’m glad we did this at the beginning of the season because this way they will have time to get used to their new location and will look great when the other plants come in strong around them.